- This topic is empty.
- July 20, 2019 at 2:57 am #219106AnonymousInactive
I’m getting repeated calls from someone who says that he’s from Encore Capital. They are a collection agency, but I’m not sure which of my debts they are referring to. Can you tell me what I should do?July 21, 2019 at 9:02 am #219219realpdlModerator
Debt collectors have to follow the law and work within a set of strict guidelines. You are protected by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). Here are some of your rights:
– They aren’t allowed to contact you before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m. unless you allow them.
– You can write to them and tell them to stop contacting you. They have to comply with this request. However, they can still contact you under specific conditions like telling you that they have filed a lawsuit.
– They can’t speak to anyone except you and your spouse about your debt.
– Within five days of contacting you, they have to send you a notice, which tells you how much you owe, the name of the creditor, and the steps to follow if you don’t think it’s your debt.